04 December 2007

Brian and Joyce Smith


Monday I flew to Cairns too early to get a run in so in the evening I ran along the Promenade in Cairns and out along the airport road.


I've run on and off for 35 years and really enjoy new experiences, running last night in Cairns was a new experience!!!!!!!!


They've experienced a mini heat wave with the temperature getting up to around 36 O C, this caused more moisture to be sucked into the air than normal so to say it was humid is a big understatement. It didn't feel like breathing in air, it was more like drinking it!


The humidity smacked you in the face and left you drenched.


There were hundreds of walkers and joggers out on the promenade at 6.00pm really too many. I had to weave in and out the whole way so I was pleased to get the solitude of the airport road. I ran for 45 Min's and got back to my hotel looking like I'd just been standing under a shower with my clothes on!!! - I loved it!


My old running buddie back in the UK = JK would be asking what my sweat ratio was ( wet to dry clothing) which is normally referenced by judgement of the coverage of the back of the T shirt, however, this night was 100% front & back AND SHORTS FRONT AND BACK! I left my shorts and shirt to hang on the balcony and noted the puddle formed by my shorts dripping!


Later Monday evening a storm blew in and cooled things down a bit but by Tuesday midday it felt as hot as the previous day.


I'd had a few beers on Monday night and combined with the Monday night run I felt incredibly dehydrated (Tuesday) this morning. I haven't had a day off training for sometime so today was an excuse to!


Flew back to Brizzey this evening and will train in the morning.

No comments: