02 November 2009

Confirmed tear posterior horn medial menicus

The MRI scan confirmed my consultants suspected diagnosis.

Findings:
There is a tear involving the posterior horn medial meniscus. This is an obliquely radial tear through this region extending through the middle and inner thirds. There is bony oedema deep to this, involving the medialtibial plateau. Medial collateral ligaments appears intact. The body of the medial meniscus appears normal. Hyaline cartilage of the medial femoral condyle shows some minor surface irregularity. This is minimal.
Cruciate ligaments are intact. Fibular collateral ligament appears normal. Hyaline cartilage of the patellofemoral joint demonstrates some minor increased signal involving the interfacetal ridge.

Impression:
Oblique radial tear involving the posterior horn medial meniscus with underlying bony oedema.

The consultant said that other than the tear and the oedema , my knee is in fair shape for a 48 year old!
So I now have an appointment to see a knee surgeon in a few weeks for his review and recommendations. I have tentatively booked in for an arthroscope a couple of days later on the 27th Nov.
The scope should be able to tidy up the tear. The 'underlying bony oedema' is another matter and was described to me as bone' bruising but I also remember the term being used to describe the bone appearance in my pelvic stress fracture! I suspect that it is the cartilage tear that is giving rise to the pain I'm experiencing and that the bone oedema is a result of the cartilage shock absorbers not doing their job though just how I managed to do this on just 4 short runs following my return from 6 months off with the pelvic stress fracture is beyond me!


1 comment:

Bellthorpe said...

Having a definitive diagnosis is of course half the battle. Hope all goes well with it ...