15 April 2010

1989 City to Surf Results


Still biding my time with the calf injury = no running but cycling and weights on alternate days. So in the meantime I thought I'd blog something from the past.
Bruce Graham posted the 1989 C2S results
on his blog and looking down the names I found some interesting people and names. Click on the photo for a bigger clearer look at the results.
I have very little information from this era of my running career - no training records only some details from the few track races I did in 1990 and 1992. I had not competed since 1986 and probably would not have raced again had it not been for me deciding to go 'backpacking' to Oz in my late 20's in 1988 . I shared a flat in Sydney (literally on the harbour in Fairlight) with Stu Moore another Shaftesbury Harrier. He got me back into training and racing though it was really for fun nothing too serious like I am now! We did all the Sydney Fun Runs including the c2s. I actually did it in 1988 but have no record of my performance, I do remember Lisa Martin (Ondienki) going past me on Heartbreak Hill!
Anyhow's the following year, remarkably, I was still running (alongside partying big time and then meeting my wife Natalie in Feb 1989). I cant recall too many details from the race though I did video the Channel 10 coverage which I still have (but cant play as I dont have a VCR anymore!). So seeing the results on Bruce's blog brought back the memories.

Monna's of course was in his prime and ran away with it 1st 40m34.

The next name that stands out for me is Dr.Jamie Harrison 5th 42m26, closely followed by

Paul Arthurs 6th 42m29, who would in later years gain a c2s victory.

7th in 42m30 Dave Buzza, a fellow Pommie who had gone to my Uni - Loughborough and is still competing in Masters very well. He was on for a scorcher in last years London Marathon but blew up spectacularly but still ran around 2h35 (for a 45 y.o. !)

8th Place was Robert Spilling in 42m56. He is still competing and showed me the way home in the 2008 c2s to win the M45 Cat . If it was any consolation I was a lot closer to Robert in 2008 that I was in 1989!

12th was Jim Golledge in 43m52. Jim was in our Reebok Manly team. A little guy with red hair, a quite character but very talented!

13th was Simon Hedger in 44m02. Simon was also in the Reebok Manly team. I had shared a flat with Simon in Harbord (Manly) and used to do a lot of what little training I did with him. A fellow Pom!

15th Bruce Graham 44m04 (also see finish photo with Simon and Bruce) So this was probably my only ever race against Bruce ! He has gone from strength to strength and won the National M45 5000m/10,000m/8KM CC crown for the last two years as well as the National Half Mara Champs .

17th was Kenny Raupach in 44m16, he might not have been in our team but we hang around together socially. I remember playing snooker in Kenny's parents house in upmarket Mossman.
He was a physio and ran with Shaftesbury when travelling in later years in London. 17th in 44m16 was frighteningly good when I look back at it now.

36th 45m32 Richard Roberts . Still competing in M40's had the better of DrJH in the CC at the World Masters in 2009.

38th in 45m39 was John Herries. Yet another Anglo/Ozzie who we hang out with. Now living in UK and surfing down in Cornwall.

I was 44th in 45m55 - Rubbish but I was just having fun!

45th in 45m58 was Mike Mcleod!!! Yes THE Mike McLeod British international/Olympian 27mxx 10,000m runner. What Mike was doing that day I do not know!

54th Horst Wegner I believe holds some NSW Masters record

83rd Guy Leech - Ironman - I only mention him because on Sunday I bought a cheap road bike for training and it has his name, signature etc all over it, co incidence!

91st Don Wallace ; a Queenslander who is my age, still competing and making a big name for himself in the 6foot (Top 3 last year, this year?).

142nd Geoff Berkeley who is still competing M40's and is a top class performer I have mentioned a few times on this blog.

150th Dennis Fitzgerald ,if its the Dennis Fitzgerald I know, Dennis just turned 40 (so maybe he was quite young in this race 19 or 20? Anyhow's Dennis could arguably claim the Brissy crown for 'King of the Roads' due to his multitude of road race wins around these parts for many many years.

154th Chris Wardlaw a former c2s winner and future coach of Craig Mottram.

158th Stuart Moore my former Fairlight flat mate and the guy who inspired me to come to Australia in the first place! and that is where I'm going to draw the line as it's late and my eyes hurt from looking at the small print. There are many more names still in these result , former club mates (Owain Lewes) and others who I know still run. If I missed you and your reading this = apologies , not a deliberate slant , post me a comment to tell me about your performance!
If anyone has the 1988 results, I'd love to know what I did!

As a side note, 226 runners bettered 50m00 in 1989 whilst in 2009 only 136 managed to better the mark (Net time).
Simon Hedger and Bruce Graham

No comments: