10 March 2012

father to son

First day of the football season today for Oli. 
As I drove him I was playing some Pink Floyd - Shine on you crazy diamond
not a music track you expect the youth of today to even have the patience to listen to,anyhow, after about 20 mins of listening to the intro, Oli asks me what is was as it sounded like 'airplane music', by which he meant Muzak like in a 'lift' or shopping centre. I told him to wait for the lyrics! 
I did not tell him it was an ode to their former front man Syd Barrett, but I was chuckling to myself how my music taste will inevitably rub off on Oli.
I remember after one long road trip to Sydney when we got home I heard Queen - 'Dont stop me now' blaring from his room, time after time.
Look what I have done to him with Arsenal - he is as obsessed if not more so these days as me!
Anyway, typical (not) football season weather, not a cloud in the sky and 30c (86f?). Grading games 3 X 30 min matches, we lost them all but at least Oli scored a cracker and might have bagged 2 more. 
For any of you with teenage kids, Oli is about to turn 18 and is just coming out of the 'wilderness years' where they hardly talk to you! he has just started Uni at Uni of Queensland, a good looking, tall gangling man, we are very proud of. 
Mind you he still has the teenage tendency to mumble, I have to ask him to repeat nearly every sentence! 
Running wise, I was sick of cycling on the stationary trainer,  my ar$e hurt real bad so on Fri, a day earlier than planned, I jogged around Roo 6K in my cycling shorts! 
Must admit I was very wary of my calf having had to turn around in my previous two outings , walking in the last. 
But I managed ok,  but did feel it both during and after. 
The PF was about 5/10 = pretty good! 
Today another 6k jog, good news, no calf issues during or after, PF was about 6/10 - think I forgot to take an anti inflam. 
Thought about posting a Floyd video but in the end decided upon an old Queen great as it reflects this post. 
Cheers


No comments: