29 August 2016

North Lakes parkrun 1st 16;29 (20th August)

I decided I needed to test myself 'competitively' to get the feeling of an all out effort back into my body. Woke early on Saturday so decided I'd do the local North Lakes parkrun. I'd had a remedial massage the day before and was concerned the body would be really sore but my 3km warm up wasn't too bad.
The course starts on the grass and quickly transfers to concrete pathway and wooden boardwalk sections. The early morning dew on the grass made for slippery conditions underfoot in the first km but I eventually got going. I rounded the first of the 3 laps in 5;20 and pushed onto the second lap. 
Lapping folk, as ever,  was difficult. Moving off the best racing line and choosing the path least likely to cause an accident. The pre run briefing mentioned keeping left and shouting ahead "runner behind!" when runners are coming through so hopefully this perennial bugbear will ease in time. I held it together well to finish in 16;29. 
I amalgamated my warm up and my warm down with the run so don't have an accurate record of my first and last KM's but the middle three were all around 3;22's so pretty consistent running. As I finished I wretched as the feeling of hitting maximal heart rate (172bpm) overwhelmed me! Happy with that performance I didn't really know what to expect but that gives me a good base point from which to try and improve over the next couple of months.
I have been upping the K's to 110km a week over the last month by doing doubles on Tuesdays and Thursday or Friday plus long on Sunday. Keeping the one long interval session on the track. I doubt I can manage much more than that so will see if my body can hold it together and start to come good.
58 days till Perth.
Start

lap 2 or 3

Lap 2 or 3

Garmin 620 poised

Nausea explosion as HR maxes out

First lap

3 comments:

TokyoRacer said...

Nice shirt! Thanks for representing us. And congrats on a nice comeback run.

Unknown said...

Tried to enter World Masters today it told too late.

David said...

I am gutted for you Tommy, if I'd have know you were interested I'd have been screaming reminders to you to enter. They are pretty strict even when its 7 weeks away! You'd have had a very good chance at gonging as the Masters doesn't get truly competitive till you get to the M45's. A rare chance in your own backyard too!