25 November 2007

Running Masters

Today I trained at Nudgee in the usual deserted atmosphere (apart from one Javelin Thrower and coach). It was pretty windy and quite hot , not ideal for running 15 X 400m with 60 sec jog recovery! Ran approx 74's & 75's. Felt good stamina wise.

Yesterday I ran Queensland Masters at SAF Nathan.
Again pretty windy so disappointing time of time 4m51 for first place (second place was 5m55).
Last year I ran a Qld Best Performance for M45 - 49 y.o. in 4m39, hence you can understand my disappointment!

Though some recent runs during training have given me cause for optimism about getting back to the good form I was in during 2006 I'm still not convinced!

My opening track race of the year was the Qld Open 10,000m Champs at Griffith's Uni Southport a fortnight ago. I finished 4th in 33m25. I ran in the 'comfort zone' never really pushing myself to the 'hurt zone' so I guess I couldn't expect to run sub 33 which would at least give me some confidence that things are coming back after the hernia operation I had in August.
The 10,000 was won in 30m40 by the very impressive Christopher Reeves, 2nd & third came in together in 31m48.

I had Masters Legend Ronnie Peters (54y.o.) for company over the last K , and only kicked away from him in the last 200m. Ronnie's 33m29 puts him 4th in the WORLD Masters Rankings for this year. Next year, if he can replicate the same time he will set a National Masters Record, to go with those he holds for the 45y.o. (31m48) and 50y.o. (32m50) Age Records.
As I said, Ronnie is Legend and a great ambassador for Masters Athletics.

No comments: