29 July 2009

World Masters Athletics Championship Lahti Finland


The World Masters Athletics Championships have kicked off in Lahti Finland. I am very envious of those who have made the journey and quite a few have made it from Down Under !
Curiously for an Athletics Champs, for those interested in distance events,the Champs kick off with a Cross Country Race! Looks like gorgeous running country, pine forests, sunshine and hills (could be Mount Mee)
Fine Australian performances I noted were Phillip Bowes 5th in the M50 8KM CC his time was 26m59 which would have placed him a close 4th in the M45's!
Nigel Gates (GB) won the M55's in 27m24 and Australia's John Herridge finnished 7th in 28m43.
Full Results are here . Looking forward to tomorrows 5000m's!

I thought I had caught up on my sleep after very limited hours over the last three weeks watching the Tour, however, I fell asleep both ways on the train today, waking at Central to find everyone who was getting off had already alighted = panic stations as I try to leap up and get out the doors before they close and the train heads to Roma St. Of course you try and show complete decorum as you get off trying not to expose yourself to the 'ridicule' of fellow passengers for having fallen asleep~! Then on the way home! I try to read a book but the journey is warm and I always drop off! the embarrassing thing is when you dribble and this is especially embarrassing when you've dribbled onto a shirt that fully exposes the wet! There is no hiding 'that', from the passengers sat opposite and next to you! Anyhow it was the same scenario, we had stopped at Petrie, I wake up and race for the door! The absolute worst case of this (TWICE!) was when I've been at a work function and consumed alcohol! I'm too embarrassed to admit where I ended up, but it wasn't close to home!!!
Enough of that nonsense, regarding athletic endeavours the FULL press ups are getting better though it was amazing how I'd trained my muscles to adapt to the lesser press ups I had been doing! Current sets are 5 X 40 with a finishing set of 50. After much neglect I have finally started work on the abs , I'm hoping these might keep the excess 'beer guttage' at bay, but the reality is only running will burn the 10KG excess off! or maybe I'll have to cut down on the beer , chocolate and ice cream!

No comments: