10 December 2009

A long way back?


Last night I went for my first 'run'!
Baby steps and painful!
Went through the first K in 5m36
- I know I shouldn't have had a watch on it but hey I can only get better from that!!

I managed to run a 2.5 approx circuit in 15m35.
I'm 74kg and need to loose maybe 8kg?
April 2008 I was 62kg but have since put on maybe 3kg of muscle - the rest is lard!!
I only hope that running gets easier.

In view of my impending return, I'd sent off to the States (Running Warehouse) for three pairs of shoes plus one pair for the misses!
I couldn't feel the normal benefit/bounce from a brand new pair of shoes as I concentrated 100% on my knees!
Still, no one would have missed me running around North Lakes in my 'Gooner' red
Pearl Izumi's !!

2 comments:

Jim Beisty said...

Just go easy mate.You are still a quite young man and can give it a long time to get back to your best.
I had the same op in Sept 1990 at the age of 56.
I had some pain in the knee area for a few months,and in other areas as a result of compensation when I started to exercise again some ten days after the op.I set myself back a bit by doing too heavy a straight leg (weight added)
exercise too soon.
A combination of static blike cycling,walking and short strides on flat grass got me back to almost pre-op form without pain in three months with the last month including running of less than 50K per week.In racing,3K in 11.59 v 11.49 before op.
I can say that I have had other injuries since but absolutely no problem with knee since that time,having run and raced many races from 200m to marathon since.
We are all different but I hope that you recover as quickly and complete as I did.Patience is a virtue.Good luck and good running/racing in the future.

David said...

Many Thanks for your comments Jim!

I shall indeed take heed of such experience and maybe I can still be running at 75! I take my hat off to you.
Cheers