20 December 2009

Annus Horribilis

I rested Friday and ran Saturday.
I again limped for around 2 or 3 K before the pain subsided to maintainable proportions!
Not happy, again I only managed 6K's in 27m52.
It is the area slightly below the knee joint that is still sore.

The inconvenient truth is that things just aint right!
My MRI diagnosed torn cartilage and bone oedema (or bruising). The cartilage is sorted but I believe the current pain more in the head of the fibular/tibia, must be the result of the bone oedema. Heavens knows where I stressed the bone sufficiently to cause this issue.
I shall stop trying to run on it for a few weeks and see if it's any better.

3 comments:

Jim Beisty said...

David,I don't wish to be too critical because I am not in your body,but I do feel that you are attempting to come back too quickly from your operation.
I would suggest that you have that rest from running you speak about,but do some easy walking,easy pool work(not kicking) and such instead till you are pain free.It is not good to rely on anti-inflamms to get you through runs.They may allow you to run at a faster pace but do not really allow the knee to "heal".
IT IS ONLY ABOUT A MONTH since your operation,you are probably still carrying a bit more weight than you would like which would be a load on the knee as well.

Good luck,have a running rest over the holiday f/n and back into easier work in 2010.
Regards,
Jim Beisty

David said...

Your absolutely right Jim, in all regards.

What is your running story?

Best regards

Jim Beisty said...

David,if you email me your postal address to jim.beisty@bigpond.com I will post you a small publication.
Regards,
Jim