03 March 2010

Back Pain merry go round



Barely able to believe it!
I'd had a few days off because I was feeling that ache in the pelvis.
On Saturday I'm bending over putting up a tent in the back garden for the kids and I felt a twang on my spinal cord. Immediately realized I'd done something but didn't appreciate exactly what.

I took a few painkillers and mowed the lawn, strimmed the edges and blew the loose cuttings = about two hours worth.
The back got worse and then things seemed to concentrate into my lower right side back/pelvis/hip (where I'd been feeling the ache). The guys at work diagnose slipped disk as they've all had one!
I'm on the anti inflams and painkillers.
Tues was really bad, barely able to walk. I'm going to wait a few days see if it settles down before seeking medical advice. I really don't fancy the 'Back Pain merry go round' of Doctor's Physio's and Chiropractors and the inevitable pathway to the surgeon!

Must say something about the weather!
It has been raining for what seems like a week!
Unbelievable!
The 4th Monsoonal Low of the wet season has dumped incessant rain. It's nearly like being back in the UK accept it is still warm!!

5 comments:

Samurai Running said...

Hey David

Thanks for your thoughts about my Dad. I was back there for a week and I know what you mean about the rain. I had one sunny day!

I suppose it is fitting and with the circumstances, shitty weather and your back pain too. Sometimes it seems like we can't catch a break but the sun always comes out again so just hang in there. Your comeback will come back!

Jim Beisty said...

David,once again my sympathy on an injury which I hope is not what your work mates are suggesting,slipped disc or more correctly herniated disc.Let me say first off,do not start any treatment until you have a definite diagnosis.If I may bore you again with my experience of this matter,in 2007 On Jan 10 my right hip gave me some pain after finishing a training run.This progressed to a combined hip/buttock/lower back ache gradually increasing in pain.After about four days by which time I could hardly straighten up I went to see a local well credentialled physio/masseuse/chiropractic agency for diagnosis and treatment.Their diagnosis was hip imbalance as the major cause without specifically identifying the injury,although they did suggest that it may be piriformis muscle problem..Their treatment regime included x-ray,which showed nothing,massage,chiro and pain killers followed..None of this did much for me,in fact pain increased.
After a month or so of this I insisted on having an MRI scan,as I was just about to fly to the UK.The MRI revealed a herniated disc as the problem injury.
I flew to UK on feb 23,two days after the diagnosis.
My first three weeks in the UK were absolute agony,confined to bed and taking pain killers up to 8 per day of Nurofen or paracetamol.
My first attempts to walk involved 200m of hell with the use of a stick,this progressed through a daily small increasi in walk mode with stick untill I managed a two mile effort in 82 mins.By the time of our return to OZ on April 26 I had progressed to covering the same walk in 82 minutes without the stick and with little pain and use of pain killers was minimal.
After a few days to recover from the flight home I started back with very slow jog/walk rehab.My weekly increase in this went from 14K to 40K over a seven week period.The rest of the story is just a steady move back into a more varied train/race pattern.
No back/hip problems since except when I foolishly tried to emulate some youngsters in a lower back stretch.We never learn do we?
Anyway,Dave,just letting you know that DIAGNOSIS is everything,if it is herniated disc WALKING is by far the most efficient rehab.method.STAY AWAY FROM SURGERY.Do your research before you allow anyone to mess with that body area.
Good luck once again.

Jim Beisty said...

Dave,sorry for typo.That walk progressed to 32 mins without stick,not 82 mins as typed.

Anonymous said...

Some helpful stuff in the link below.

http://www.physioadvisor.com.au/7646150/wwwphysioadvisorcomau-home.htm

Cheers,
Ronnie.

David said...

Hi Guys, Thank you all for your words and advice. It looks like my 'back problem' really wasn't a problem after all! Though I realize I should be very careful with it! However, the Pelvis is another matter!!

Regards