14 March 2010

La Légende d’Alain Mimoun





We had a long weekend in Miami, staying at the Ocean Tourist Park Resort . A great cabin (equivalent of 4* Hotel rooms), right on the beach front and next to Don MacSween Park.
My back has felt fine but when those couple of days of back pain wore off I was still left with the ache in the pelvis!
Friday afternoon was a beautiful day, and I watched a succession of runners running along the esplanade I felt sick with envy! I hadn't planned on going for a run but I did have my Peal Izumis so I thought I'd go for a run and confirm to myself if I do have a major issue with the pelvis or was I just being a wuss?
It was a glorious first few K's as I ambled past what could have been Australia's Next Top Model contestants running in the other direction. As the pathway started to climb past Burleigh Heads into the National Park that winds its way up the side of Tallebudra Creek the ache got worse. I slowed down. In fact I was about to get overtaken by a young dude in surfer board shorts when I turned around and ran back. Well I didn't run very much further and was reduced to taking a long slow walk back with a limp! I answered my own question , I wasn't being a wuss I do have a problem and I'll get an appointment to see the Consultant on Monday.
My guess is I have a stress fracture on the right side of my pelvis! ( I had a left side pelvic stress fracture last year) . I had a recent bone density scan which was fine so why (IF it is confirmed) I have suddenly become susceptible is absolutely beyond me!

I had seen ALAIN MIMOUN's name in the record books for M45 and M50 WORLD HOUR run distance records;

WR ALAIN MIMOUN FRA 18,862 1966
WR ALAIN MIMOUN FRA 18,576 1971

I always wondered about some of these guys, who were they, had they run in their youth, what were they doing now?
Pat Butchers blog Globe Runner did a great story on him here.
I never knew he was a three time Olympian and Gold Medalist at Melbourne who had battled it out over the years with Zata!!
It would be really good to see the documentary on him
La Légende d’Alain Mimoun.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Extracts from Wikipedia

His path to an Olympic gold medal was blocked in both 1948 and 1952 by the Czech champion Emil Zátopek. Mimoun won silver medals in 10000 metres in 1948 and 1952 as well as another silver medal in 5000 metres in 1952. His second place finishes behind Zatopek gave him the nickname "Zatopek's Shadow."

Zátopek and Mimoun, while rivals, were great friends. They competed against each other for a final time at the Melbourne Olympics in 1956. Mimoun, age 35, and Zátopek, age 34, were seen as champions in their decline. They both competed in the marathon an event where runners peak in their thirties.

It was extremely hot in Melbourne on the day of the marathon. Zátopek, who had had a hernia operation 6 weeks before, suffered in the heat but Mimoun seemed to come to life as the temperatures reached 97 degrees (36 celsius). Mimoun went on the win the event. Additionally, Mimoun had become a father that morning. His daughter was named Olympia.

At the finish line, he waited for his friend who came in sixth. Zátopek was dazed by the temperatures. He looked at Mimoun who said, "Emil, why don't you congratulate me? I am the Olympic champion." Mimoun and Zátopek then embraced. Mimoun called the moment more valuable than his gold medal.

Mimoun continued to compete after Melbourne. He was on the French team for the 1960 Summer Olympics in Rome. Mimoun won his final national championship in 1966, twenty years after his debut. He is a national hero in France with over thirty gymnasiums and the stadium in Bugeat named in his honor.

Jim Beisty said...

Yes,only the great Zatopek was superior to him in those years.I think that Mimoun also won the World CC title,after all he,whilst a French citizen,was an Algerian by birth and perhaps the first in that great line of North African distance runners to emerge.
Ah! memories.
Sorry to hear of your problems,David,hang in there,you are still a young man and the body is a marvellous healer with time.