06 June 2010

The Runners Nightmare


Set off for Caloundra for the Foreshore 10KM at 5.30am this morning.
Injury forced me out last year but prior to that I had finished 2nd in 2006 (34m49), 1st in 2007 (34m22) and 3rd in 2008 (32m58) .
The course is flat for 7K's then hilly as it goes over a number of headlands.
Todays field has been spiced up possibly by prize money ($500 to the winner) and possibly through the race gaining respectability on the calender.
Perfect Sunshine Coast weather, cloudless blue sky, and calm and warm conditions.
The glare off the pristine Pummistone Passage the only thing to worry about!

I lined up next to Helen Stanton we had a brief chat renewing acquaintance of my fellow North Lakes resident.
I set off fairly quickly but was swamped by a good number of younger guys with a fair sprinkling of Tri guys in the field. I settled into a fair pace and ran through 3k in about 10m15 and 5k in 17m13.
The course at times is spectacularly scenic run along the foreshore pathways. However it does have a very twisty nature. At 8K things went wrong. I was following two other runners and we carried straight on where we should have been directed right. We carried on for sometime before the realisation no marshals no cones no 9K sign ! The first female runner Helen Stanton was following me way off course. I know quite a number of others followed.
The guy in front had slowed down to confirm our predicament and find the best way to get back on course. We eventually managed to get back to the finish where I crossed the line in 39m30.
Others who went off course realised the mistake sooner and had corrected their course sooner.David Scroop was one such affected runner.
I think I was probably on target for about 36m which I'm pretty pleased with.
I'm not too bothered about the balls up but I do feel sorry for Helen. She deserves the $500 winners prize but I wonder if the "2nd" place girl who crossed the line "first" will give it to her?

The race leaders had no problems going off course and the race was won by Neil Labinsky in about 31m50, from a bevvy of other local stars.
Geoff Berkeley again won the Masters Cat and was up there with the leaders (he finished 3rd Open last year in 33m48).
I jogged back 10K to the start with David Scroop. I feel shagged now 21+K all up!

EDIT; I noted that good sense prevailed at the Caloundra Foreshore 10KM Race on Sunday .
Helen Stanton was awarded first place in the ladies race (as well as first Master) $600 all up! Good going.
I'm not sure that they got the Mens Masters result correct unless awarded 1st placer Allan Mullins is someone I havent heard of or perhaps because they categorised Masters as 35+ he is a fleet footed 35 year old! Geoff Berkeley was surely the first Master home?
Results were;
Results 2010 10km RunJunior
Male – First – Dane HopeJunior
Female – First – Frankie McMakin
Masters
Male – First – Alan Mullins
Masters Female – First Helen Stanton
Open Male – First – Neil Labinsky
Open Female – First – Kira Seidell
Overall Male First – Neil Labinsky
Overall Male Second – Tom Kennedy
Overall Male Third – Adam Fitzakerley
Overall Female First – Helen Stanton
Overall Female Second – Kira Seidell
Overall Female Third – Linda Fox
3km Run
Open Male – First – Rod Baker
Open Female – First – Grace Kaihou

4 comments:

Vesna said...

wow,
hard to beleive it can happen, not to mark the course properly but I've seen it before too.
You are really being a great sport how you describe everything.
Great race David, congratulations!

Samurai Running said...

Yes you are certainly being sanguine about it. I wouldn't be! But you've probably got less grey hairs than me.

It wouldn't happen in Japan! So if there is a race your serious about come on over.

Unknown said...

Nice run Dave - improving well, just don't rush it. Want to see you on that start line at GC!
Timmy and I called the bet quits - the only fair way...

David said...

G'Day Vesna, Scott and Tom!
Thanks for all your comments and nice to hear from you all!
I was sent off course about three years ago at Doomben during a 10K when on course for a top 3 finish and perhaps for a seasons best. I was not happy on that occasion but as you say Scott I'm a lot more sanguine about it now! I'm just happy to be out there!