29 August 2010

Bridge to Brisbane 2010

29th August 2010 Bridge to Brisbane 10KM 34m27 21st & 1st

7th August 2005 Bridge to Brisbane 12km 44m10 75th & 9th
6th August 2006 Bridge to Brisbane 12km 41m36 27th & 2nd
5th August 2007 Bridge to Brisbane 12km 39m07 21st & 1st

It was cool and a little windy but fair running conditions. I started well and enjoyed the first 2K's running up and over the new Bridge, a really good running surface. The first lady past me at the top of the Bridge and gaped me going on the downward slope. I was working hard but feeling OK.
Perverse that amongst 40,000 other runners I should find myself running alone down Kingsford Smith Drive! I past 5K in 16m55 and was a little disappointed that the time did not matched the effort. The leading lady was staying about a 100m in front - I think she might have been the first lady in the City to Surf who Bruce ran with a couple of weeks ago (I was wrong, it was actually C2S 2nd placer Cassie Fien). One runner (Andrew Reeves) popped out the back of the group in front and I caught him up at the 8K mark, and ran all the way to the finish with him but ultimately losing out to his better kick at the finish.
Around the 7/8K mark I got a good shout from Matty Phillips (running the 5K later?)
" Come On You Gooner!" - it helped me push on - thanks!
An Army guy (Jared xxxx ?) was the only other runner interaction I had over the last 6K. He went past me and Andrew Reeves in the last K and this being my first time running the '10K', with the finish into the RNA Showgrounds being unfamiliar, I could not judge the finish line accurately (and that cost me two places!).
Disappointed with the time 34m27, however I think I probably made Top 20 (wrong 21st!)and it will be interesting to see the results to compare relative performances. I thought that the two previous times this course has been run the times were slow (34m27 would have got 11th place last year!).
(Comments on CoolRunning suggest the course was 200m long! this was actually the first running on this course as we started on the new bridge slightly further East)
Perhaps some solace can be had by comparing performances with others when the results come out. Michael Shelly probably won the race (he did in 29m35s he ran 28m53 at GC).
It will be interesting to see how Jackson Elliott went ( last weeks winner in Gladstone) (he was 4th in 31m09 he ran 30m17 at GC).Also up front would have been Peter Nowill (2nd in 30m49).

No comments: