15 August 2010

familiar yet unfamiliar

Sun 8.20am Lakes College Fun Run 10KM 34m18 2nd (no Cat)

Saturday night had drinks with friends - very poor preparation for todays race !
Ideally I'd have had an early night but my wife would not have appreciated that.Social conformity! I had way too many beers! slept through my alarm, so was lucky this was a local race!
Tried to drink lots of water when I got up but felt pretty lousy.
I jogged up to the start and was impressed by the large turn out for this event.
Started off fast 2nd behind former winner David Strickland. Chris Rawling a local tri
athlete/runner took up the pace and gaped me between 1K and 5K probably pulling out
to 50m with no one in sight behind. I realized that I was gaining on Chris and by 5K had caught him up. Briefly flirted with idea of pushing on by myself but bottled it and took the easy option of running along side Chris for a couple of K's. I decided and didn't feel good so eased back the pace.
On the long hill up to the 7K mark Chris gaped me and I wasn't racing . Just ran home steady and finished 10secs behind him. The course was quite twisty, not good for fast times, familiar yet unfamiliar (running roo+Lake backwards).
Marcia Sheer Queensland Masters W50 is running really well and today ran sub 40, 39m18.

1 comment:

Scott Lawrence said...

Another good step on your way back, David. Well done.

Good to see some Aussies doing well in the London Diamond League - Gregson, Collis, Mottram and Sally:

http://www.diamondleague-london.com/en/Live-StartlistsResults/Startlist/