16 January 2009

Nos Galan New Years Eve Road Race

I dipped my hand down a little further into my Tee Shirt draw this morning and pulled out my Test Dept Tee Shirt from 1984! Surely you'd think this Tee would be falling apart by now but it is still in remarkable condition, I'll have to google Test Dept to see if I can get an image or a flavour of their "music". The above image closely resembles the design of my Tee. I'd just left Uni in 84 and was still quite impressionable. Their music was about as avant garde as I got! But even more remarkable is the fact that I have a running Tee Shirt that I think is even older! It was from the Nos Galan New Years Eve Race held at South Welsh mining town Mountain Ash.
Wow see the coincidental design on this mornings Tee Shirt!!! Spookey!
I need to dig it out to to get the date but it is thread bare and has to be treated very gently (hope the wife hasn't thrown it out!). Actually the race that night was a bit of a shambles! I was in a second group and the lead group got mis directed so we became the lead group! I think I was running with the legendary Luton International Tony Simmonds and ended up maybe top 5? I cant remember! Of course a race at midnight on New Years eve would always be something special and this one was special because a whole bunch of my non running mates took the trip with me and Jeff Kaye to take part (Girlfriends also travelled but didn't race!). The Race (if its still going) is always started by a mystery famous runner. The year we ran Kirsty McDermott started us ( I think that's her name - a very good British international 800m runner).

3 comments:

Unknown said...

T-Shirts? Surely Qld weather demands nothing more than a vest ("singlet" for our aussie friends)?
Kirsty McDermott (Wade) is a name I've not heard in a long while. Good runner but nothing on Christina Boxer.

David said...

Gazza,
Walking around the suburb in a vest is a bit too camp for my sensibility!
I too was a big Christina fan (helped being Ex Lufbra!)

David said...

Tom Highnam was the "unknown' comment above from you?