16 May 2010

A Victorious return!



Thurs 5.00am 10KM(??) Cadel 38m50

Fri Rest

Sat Queensland Corporate Games St Lucia 10KM 37m17 (1st & 1st!)

Sun Gateway Bridge Bolt 4KM 13m20 11th
Sun p.m. Roo+Lake 11KM 47m08 - steady

Pushed my run on Thurs and must now question the distance of Cadel not quite being 10K !
Sat a.m. the nerves and fun of racing returned for the first time in just under 2 years!!
Of course I am way off race fit with only 4 or 5 weeks of continuous training under my belt and carrying a weight belt!! I won this race in 2006/7/8 and thought I'd be doing well to just win Cat
but as it turned out, I managed to chalk up win No.4. The 5K and 10K start off togetrher and you dont really know who your racing for sure (unless your checking out their race bibs) until the 5K runners peel off for their finish as we go round for next 5K. The first three guys were all 5k'ers so I was left out in the lead with about a 100m's on 2nd and 3rd. I went through 5K in 18m15.
I pushed hard in the 3rd quarter and slightly extended my lead and coasted home in 37m17 - sweet!
The course might have been about 120m long (by Garmin) and was run on loose cinder (not fast!) pathway next to the Brisbane river at St.Lucia.
2006 - 35m54,
2007 - 34m48,
2008 - 34m16,
2010 - 37m17.

Sunday I ran the Gateway Two 'Bolt' a 4K Road race run to celebrate the opening of the new bridge (over the mighty Brisbane River) next week!
It is 1K up , 1K down, turnaround and 1K up ,1K down.
Of course Saturdays race was very much still in my legs and after the first 200m the lactic build up was intense! I slowed down to accommodate my aching body!
Maybe top 20 ?? (11th) in 13m20. Got beaten by two women .
Having done no speed work what so ever I sure felt it. Reality was I had missed doing the Clem7 Tunnel Race so just wanted to participate. Felt good to be back in competition again though I shall try and hold myself back from racing Doomben, Noosa, Gold Coast, Bridge to Brisbane, City to Surf. Might do the Caloundra foreshore 10K as it is a beautiful course.

6 comments:

Samurai Running said...

That must have been fun David.

And to get the win! Good time considering everything that has gone on of late.

Did it hurt?

David said...

Yes Great fun Scott!
"Did it hurt?" = Yes when I put the effort in!

Jim Beisty said...

Great to see the body(and mind I guess)is adapting again to "harder"
work.Congrats but stay controlled for a little while yet.
Stay well

Anonymous said...

That is brilliant news Dave - what a relief for you after all you've been through this last year or so...and to do it off the back of a month or so's training - outstanding - and it will of course get even better!!!

Philippe of Luxembourg ;-)

Dave Kane aka 'Kanser' said...

Well done Dave!! Great to hear you are back racing!!

David said...

Thanks Guys