01 October 2009

Frank Mahoney on Cross Training

Franks wonderfully informative reply to my response was;

Anonymous F Mahony said...

David

Thanks for the info.

You commented: "I am interested in what results you get from your cross training?"

Some background info:

In my younger days, this was my training schedule.

Mon: AM: Swim easy, 1500m
PM: Run 8-10km easy
Tue: AM Swim sprints
PM: Run Track, 3 x 1600 hard
Wed: AM Swim hard, 2000m
PM: Run 16km hard
Thus: AM: Swim sprints
PM: Run 16km easy
Frid: AM: Swim hard, 2500m
PM: Run 8-10km easy
Sat: Run Race or 10km easy
Sun: Run 20-30km long or Run Race

Aim was for quality km rather than quantity - so as to manage my pronation issue.

Swimming was great for allowing additional hard training, without any of the stresses that running would bring. Recovery was very quick, i.e. 30 minutes after a hard session, it was like you hadn't done it, compared to hard or long runs that can beat up the body, especially the legs.

It also provided a massage to the legs, helping to recover from the week-end race.

There was also no injuries from the swimming.

I don't think it can replace basic running training, however it allowed me to develop a good engine, and compete with guys who were doing 150-200km per week.

It's one potential downside was I wondered if my engine was more than my wheels, i.e legs could cope with.

Overall, I thought the swimming was a great help, and the swimming was only undertaken to assist with the running, i.e. apart from the Mon to Frid swim sessions, I did not swim in any races or Triathlons etc

More recently, I wouldn't consider that I do cross training. I started swimming to lose weight and get fit, and swim to continue on this basis as well as to improve my swimming.
I cycle to keep fit and improve my cycling.
And I run to improve my running.
I will go in a number of Triathlons over the summer so I need to train in all three.

I do believe that my training combination of swimming, cycling and running provides me with a far more sustainable fitness program than just 100km of running per week. I say that for myself, as my legs couldn't cope with 100+ km per week.

With swimming, some find following the black line of a pool boring, for me, I find it somewhat relaxing as you can tune out. 5 of my 7 swim sessions are with others so it is not too bad.

I also discovered that keeping my sessions to 45 min to 1 hour meant that they are long enough to be beneficial, but not so long that mentally they freak you out or physically wear you out or take up too much time each day.

The training in swimming, cycling and running opens up other opportunities, for example adventure racing, aquathons etc. I recently went in a relay team of 5 that swam 18km from the Fiji main island to Beachcomber Island. And also a Aquathon at Redcliffe.

One great training session we do each week is a Tri session of 1km swim, 10km ride and 5km run. It is approx 20 minutes of each and gives you a good work-out, with the run quite tough after the bike.

You should get into Tri's, as I have discovered a lot of them can't run. So imagine what you could do.

Cheers Frank

September 30, 2009 8:32 PM


Thanks for that Frank - very very interesting , I have said for years that I'd love to

'try a tri' ,(my mate Jeff Kaye always said I had the physique of a cyclist (big leg muscles!) however, though I think my cycling capability might be quite good, I am not convinced that my swimming would - but you know what, I do love a challenge and maybe I just might!

More likely I would try Duathlon or just simply check out the Masters cycling scene.

Incidentally what about Cadel Evans World Championship??

Wasn't that fantastic for a guy who has had quite some criticism, to come back and fully answer his critics with Australia's first ever Cycling World Championship Gold Medal!!!!

I am interested in seeing the benefits of cross training specially during my seemingly never ending injury spell and am tempted to head down to the pool for a first session!

My knee reacted badly to my birthday run : ( I need to get a diagnosis !

Watch this space

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dave, do keep up this great blog! I found the information you and Frank have recently exchanged to be 'gold dust'...really useful for a fellow Master :) Given me some thoughts for tuning my training regime...

Hope that injury of yours can be sorted soon!
PS have not forgotten the scanning I promised...just need a bit of time :0)

Philippe Brown