28 October 2009

Tom Bedford 2h24m Marathon!



Tommy did it!
He ran the Dublin Marathon in 2h24m09s! A remarkable achievement from where he set out and I take my hat off to him for the dedication he put into achieving his goal and for putting some money into a good cause along the way (as well as paying off his student debts!)
To summarize his goal this is direct from his blog;

3 years to run below 2 hours 25 minutes for a marathon or I have to pay out £12,000 in bets!

The rules: I have as many attempts within this period to complete the set time. There are no out clauses I.e. If i get injured the bet will still stand. The marathon has to be a certified iaaf marathon (no downhill marathons). Completion date is 13th April 2011.

To put the time into perspective I have to run 5 min 30 secs for every mile of the marathon. If I ran that time at the Beijing Olympics I would have finished at least 52nd Place!

How did the bet come about?

Yes you guessed it. I was in a pub so I have nothing to blame but myself!

On top of the actual bet I am going to raise mon ey for the Entoto Foundation http://www.entoto.org/which is dedicated to helping Ethiopians gain access to medical care and treatment that is otherwise not available to them.

I am not taking personal bets anymore but I would like you to get involved by sponsoring me on this website!

There are some spectacular photos of Tom finishing the race in Dublin! Great crowd reaction and great personal satisfaction in just doing it!


No comments: