15 July 2010

Stephen Roche

Thurs 12.00 noon 12/13KM Go Betweens 49m16

Flew around the run today, I one point I got a niggle in the knee that came on quickly and I was thinking 'it better not be!', but pain seemed to ease off and I continued hard.
Last night I made the right choice to go to bed early as the Tour looked like being a non race day for the main contenders.
The attacking up the Madeleine between Schleck and Contador on Wednesday morning was classic.
I don't know what to make of Cadel's performance - did he crack mentally, was it the fractured elbow, was it the effect of riding the Giro. Felt really sorry for him. He did descend very well as he was about 10mins behind going over the top of the Col but ended up 'only' 8m07 behind after the decent. Now I suppose I will throw my support behind Schleck - the young pretender, though I'm also impressed by Stephen Roches son Nicolas's performance and aim for a top 10 on GC.

Does anyone remember the commentary Phil Liggett gave when Stephen Roche fought back, going up La Plagne to nearly catch Pedro Delgardo. He had been dropped and Phil is calling Delgardo over the line and says at 2m08,

"Just Who is that rider coming up behind - it looks like Roche? It looks like Roche !!! It looks like Stephen Roche, IT IS STEPHEN ROCHE!"

That was my all time favorite memory from the Tour!
Stephen of course went on to win the Yellow in Paris, the first and only Irishman to do so.

No comments: