14 November 2013

Lake Taupo


Getting used to the bike again.
My old mate Freddie Hampton advised me to push the cleats on the shoe back from the toe in order to disengage the calf as much as possible which was a good tip. 
I missed the Spring which meant NO bird swooping - YEAH!
We had rain forecast every day this week and have received a fare drenching overnight but have been able to ride every morning so far.
Some guy flew past me on Wednesday morning as if I was standing still - I must have lost a bit of my cycling momentum. I thought the same thing was happening this morning but it was Martin Disley (ex Crew Alexander football player) who I've mentioned before riding along side for a lap around North Lakes. It took me a while to notice but he'd come off his bike earlier, up on Anzac Avenue where it merges with Discovery Drive and the Council have painted the road a green colour to warn motorists they are sharing the zone with cyclists. Anyhow the overnight rain makes the surface like glass. Martin didnt seem phased to be bloodied up with matching tears to jersey and knicks. He said he was more concerned about his (beautiful) bike a Cervelo machine that purred like a kitten. He is off to NZ shortly to do the 100 mile  (160km) ride around Lake Taupo.
Currently averaging 4 or 500km a week in training!! Scary numbers and time these cyclists devote to their sport!
You would have to be mad to consider doing the Maxi Enduro 640km or 4 x around the lake! http://www.cyclechallenge.com/bike-races-nz/maxi-enduro/

My calf seems to be on the mend, from feeling it the whole time, to now not feeling it when walking around and much less tenderness when touched. 
I will try a short run at the weekend to see where it is at. I have advised Nike Victory Team Captain Dennis Fitzgerald that I'm doubtful for the 500km relay.


Here are my KM's Nov 2012 to Nov 1213, you can see the stark contrast between my cycling to the end of June and then running.


No comments: