13 October 2015

QMA 3000m SAF 3rd 9:32.02

The last time we have a record of us racing together was the 1980 English Schools at Newcastle where I finished 5th and Mike 15th (I went to Loughborough in 1980~1983 and Mike went in 1981~1984 but we have no memory of racing there!).
1980 Senior Boys English Schools, my best ever XC in 5th, Andy Green 14th and Mike in 15th ~ We'll be racing again in Tokyo in November

Conditions were warm and humid with just enough wind to make my track season debut difficult.
The plan was for Mikey Treesey's son Tommy to lead us out for 1600m then the race was on!
Tommy did a fine job leading us around in 75's then Mickey took lap 5 and I sensed it was hard going in front so I led lap 6 and 7 till the 200 mark where Mike took back control with 600 to go. Into 500m to go Mike edged away and I started to tie up!
Pete Bracken in third must have sensed this as from 20m down with a lap to go he stormed home to pip me passing me with 50 to go.
Mike stole away four seconds 9:28 , but the big question was who would win the age grading?
After Peter Reeves led a deputation to the referees office to get a corrected result I was jubilant to celebrate a narrow victory, a Pyrrhic victory of sorts.
In truth I was very pleased to be so close to Mike considering he had run 9:10 three weeks back and 4:17 1500 for Bronze at the World's in Lyon this Northern Summer.
Father and son lead out me and Bracko with Belly following.





Gapping in progress

Later we ran a 4x1500m relay, I ran about 4:39 to help Reevesy Shardy Belly and me claim a Qld M40 record.
some product placement for Mikes Shoes = Newtons


No comments: