06 August 2008

Bronislaw Malinowski


Wednesday 1.00pm (20.0 o C) 10.5(?) Bridges 39m33

I went hard today, yes I'm still in pain (R.H Knee) but I really pushed it today. Flat out! I'd go so far as to say this course must be at least 11K because I was race pace and if it's not 11K I'm in trouble! Maybe the steps up to Victoria Bridge (?main bridge that leads into South Bank from Queen St Mall) or the Steps under the Storey Bridge subway and on the other side of the river back under the bridge and the dodging in and out of the crowds along the Restaurant stretch take some time away from a pure uninterrupted course.
So that was my last hard session prior to C2S! No Track intervals No Hills No K Road intervals.
A poor quality lead up but At least I've made it and will be able to give a fair account of myself in Sydney.
The only 'hill' I've had the opportunity to run is the small one up to the Storey Bridge Hotel (100m) from the River pathway. I have felt good on it but of course I'm worried about Heartbreak.
It is TWENTY years since I ran up it. I cant remember it but I believe its a KM up!
I took a look up it using Google StreetView = very cool , but perhaps I might have been better off not knowing!!
My Main Aims in Sydney = Win age category, Beat Winner of M40, Beat Tommy, Beat Keith, Beat PB from 1989 45m55, Win the Bloody Race!
Do you remember Bronislaw? I do, this is what Sporting Heroes has to say about him;


Bronislaw Malinowski's great rivalry with Anders Garderud (Sweden) between 1974 and 1976 came to end following the Swede's retirement after the 1976 Olympics. In the absence of Garderud, Malinowski dominated the 3000m steeplechase during the next few years. In 1978, Malinowski scored significant victories at Stockholm on 4 July and at West Berlin on 18 August, where he recorded his seasonal best time of 8min 11.63sec. At the 1978 European Championships in Prague on 3 September, Malinowski comfortably won the steeplechase gold medal in a time of 8min 15.08sec. During 1978, Henry Rono (Kenya) had set a world record on 13 May, but Malinowski was untroubled in beating Rono when they met at Koblenz on 7 September. At the 1976 Olympics, Malinowski had tried to run away from the field in an attempt to thwart the finishing kicks of those athletes who he knew could out sprint him. However, in the Olympic final at Moscow, on 31 July 1980, Malinowski was happy to stay back, as Tanzanian Filbert Bayi, a notorious front runner, and Eshetu Tura (Ethiopia) went out at pace that was well under world record schedule. Bayi eventually broke away from Tura, while Malinowski started to close the gap, although he was still 5.3 seconds behind Bayi with 1000m to go. Malinowski passed Tura just before the water jump on the second last lap (see photo above), and then caught and passed Bayi at the water jump one lap later. In the end, Malinowski won by nearly 3 seconds in 8min 09.7sec. Malinowski had a reasonably subdued year in 1981, recording his fastest time at Christchurch on 1 February. It will never be known if more athletic success awaited him, as Malinowski was tragically killed in a car accident on 26 September 1981. He was just 30 years of age. (Ron Casey)

No comments: