10 August 2008

Rebbecca Lowe

Sunday City to Surf Sydney 14KM 43rd 47m12

Just back from Bondi! I gave it my best shot but I'd have to say slightly disappointed with result.
Couldn't get going on the first section, DrJH went past at about 4KM and I had nothing to respond with.
Went past 5KM in 16m16 and then struggled up Heartbreak Hill though seemed to hold the gap to Jamie. At the top I thought I got going OK, no one went past me from the top. I heard calls from behind for the first lady - Rebbecca Lowe and I didn't want to get caught ! I'd warmed up with Keith Bateman and Rebecca and I expected them to be running together .
Having my name on my bib meant I got a lot of encouragement along the way.
The knees played up towards the end specially on the downhill but I got through it and will rest up till they are better. Right now the left knee is pretty painful. I managed to stay in front of Rebecca up the finishing straight. Natalie and the family said they saw me on TV as the cameras focused on the first Female!
At the finish I got my first sighting of Tom Highnam who ran a great race for 46m30 and in the finishing straight sprinted past Jamie Harrison!
Surprisingly for me Martin Dent won the Men's Race in 41mxx from Michael Shelly , who I would have had my money on.
As for my goals, I failed to beat DrJH, & Tommy. I got beaten by at least two M40's (DrJH being 44 till Dec). I want to put this race on my annual calender and come back next year and really do myself justice.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dave,
Good to catch up again but sorry to see your performance affected by recent injury woes. I reckon I ran better than Gold Coast but still think DrJH and I would have been chasing you had you been fully fit.
Looking forward to catching up again soon,
Tom