23 December 2011

2011



2011 was a good year for me. I have managed two years without significant injury so to go 24 months and just to run consistently will bring you back into shape . 
This year I have continued my training regime of steady runs (10.5km) and interval sessions which I do because it doesn't impact too much on 'family time' and it seems to work for me. I did have a brief spell this year where I tacked on an extra 6KM to my morning run to make it a 16.5KM  but with niggles (Mainly PF in the right foot) caused me to revert to form (10.5km Roo+Lake).
The year actually started out with a niggle and I took a fortnight off because  of a dodgy hip but was able to pick things back up quickly and started to run well again in training.
I did an amazing 3 X 2mile session that gave me confidence and belief that I was going well again combined with some rare fast early morning runs over Roo+Lake.
This period culminated in the National Masters Champs here in Brissy in April . Back in February when I was out, I thought I wouldn't even line up but  on a warm humid night I won the M45 10,000m in 32m53. This was a great 'race' as Bruce and myself were always going to be very close and I felt good enough to kick, after going through 5000m in about 16m04 . Perhaps my performance of the year. 


Who wants to see my ugly mug anyway I love this shot with my typical gaping mouth, profuse sweating and Bruce shadowing me ready to move out for some water!

The 5000m two days later was another season highlight. To have 4 X M45's all capable of running sub 16m in one race in Australia must have been a first.
 Along with Bruce we had Robert Schwerkolt  who had recently run  Australian M45 Records with 1500m in 4m00 and 3000m in 8m49 and Shane George who had trounced me in a Queensland Masters 3000m earlier in the year. As the race transpired I think we were all a bit in awe of Robert and perhaps paid him too much respect, though saying that, Shane did a great job, really sticking it in and trying to  pull away. He paid the price and I managed to overtake him and gap him and Bruce but I did not have the balls to really take on Robert scared of his renowned kick, I followed him and paid the price as first he kicked away and then Shane overtook me in the last 150m . Saying that, I was proud to run 15m50 after the sapping 10,000m . 

Shane must be leading and I'm following Rob, Bruce was just getting gapped.
Shane taking it on, Robert sitting pretty, Me just concentrating on those heels!

Winter saw the return of me running the Sunshine Coast Cross Country series 12km and 3km races and I even managed an open win though was soundly beaten by M40 Mark Richardson in the season opener. He is going to be major competition if he remains competitive (he suggested to me he may retire).


The 10K road races were all good, my best performance was the 33m22 at the Gold Coast.
Gold Coast 10km 26th Open 1st M45


I thought I'd improve on GC but didn't! No races against Monna's this year so I went unbeaten in Cat at Gold Coast, Redcliffe, Noosa, and Bridge to Brisbane. 



 The start I very nearly missed Bridge to Brisbane, 13th Open 1st Cat 34m07 (I'm far left in a Tee Shirt!!)

 Bridge to Brisbane

Jetty To Jetty 3rd Open 1st M40 34m10 

 Noosa 10km   33m43   8th Open  1st M40-49

Outright Open wins at 50 years of age are to be celebrated as they will become increasingly rare! Open wins at the Queensland Corporate Games 10K and Cairns Post 5k Challenge and the Titirangi 10K in NZ were great days. Check out my finish in this video!

Gladstone 8K was again a happy hunting ground 4th Open and 1st M45 for another $1000 prize, a tangible reward for an old geezer! 

Gladstone 8km (7.74km Garmin) 25m21 4th Open 1st M45 kicking to stave off a youngster!


Yes I turned 50 in September and my goal was to try and beat as many M50 Category records as I could.
The Cool Night Classic 5K 3rd place $500 watch was another amazing prize when we would gladly compete for nothing (like we mostly do!).
So to this Summer and my track season has been rewarding. Running 15m55 and 15m56 in tough conditions by myself suggest I can go on to run sub 15m49 but we shall see.
Breaking Ronnie's Queensland records 3000m 9m15.98 and Mile 4m44 meant I achieved some goals this year. The 4m22 1500m last week on a windy day was possibly better than I expected or hoped for and perhaps I can still run under 4m20. 
To all you fellow Masters I wish health and happiness for the holidays and  for 2012  without the thought of you guys where ever you are in the World  spurring me on , there would be no competition and without that what would be the point?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good report mate - I'm back in business and hope to line up against you in 2012

Matt P

Dave Kane aka 'Kanser' said...

Great to see you back to your best. You had a awesome year. Looking forward to you coming down to Sydney and racing the HuRT boys...if you don't get the opportunity, I am sure some of us will race you in the Gold Coast..all the best mate...have a great break!

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Dave. So pleased 2010 went well for you.
BTW.I have run a few of these Park Runs down at New Farm.
http://www.parkrun.com.au/newfarm/home
Your side of town and i reckon you might enjoy the challenge of getting the age-grading record of89.58. The path has a bit of concrete but most is a heavy gravel mix. I intend to run it when i can (when track is not on).
Merry Christmas and all the best for 2012.
Ronnie.

Anonymous said...

I meant 2011.
Cheers,
Ronnie.

David said...

Cheers guys thanks for your comments.
Ronnie Parkrun looks good, I will get along when the Masters altrnative is not as attractive.
Kanser I will definately get down to Sydney for some HuRTS sessions one of these days. You have a great set up down there.

BeerMatt said...

You've had a great year Dave. I can only see you getting quicker in 2012! Inspirational stuff. Well done.

Anonymous said...

Inspired running this year Dave - wishing you and the family more great things for 2012.

Philippe (Luxembourg)

kevin f forde said...

An impressive year,here's to more of the same in 2012