29 November 2008

Jet or is it "Geoff" ?




Sat. 6.30am Shornecliffe 5 KM 17m35 1st (No Cat)
On the verge of taking another sojourn from training in order to get my knee right I wildly decided that a race was in order! Well I just fancied the company of other runners and doing something different so rocked up to Shornecliffe and did the monthly 5K time trial!
Conditions were always going to be tough, warmed up (!!?) with Geoff H and realised how humid it was!! Turned around and found out how windy it was!! Of course I had no race plan but as ever wanted to run as hard as I was capable. Went through 1K in 3m06 (and I still had company), 1500m in 4m48 and turnaround (2.5K) in 8m40. The 1.5K mark was the point where the humidity really started to bite, it felt like there was no air and the body combusted into sweat. No sign of a helping breeze!
At 2.5K turnaround it felt like running into a wall of wind (uncanny!),. I found it difficult going because 1)I'm unfit. 2) The push ups on Thurs were still in my arms and they ached to buggery.
So the homeward journey was a survival course , knowing that I was clear of the field didn't help, as of course I had the normal tendency to believe that I would get caught! Considering the conditions and my lack of training, I was happy enough with the effort, probably worth a minute quicker without the wind. 
Thanks to Phil Hungerford of The Run Inn for putting on the race and brecky after. = Last Sat of every Month.
Performance of the month goes to Errol Holmes.
He ran a KM interval (after 3 warm up K's) in 3m48 on an undulating course here at North Lakes.
He is 68 y.o!
The photo is me and my mates Paul & Linda (McCartney) in Barbados in about 1982 or 1983, those with a keen eye will note I'm wearing a AAA 6 Stage Road Relay Tee Shirt and sporting sun bleached hair !! (well I was in Barbados for 3 weeks!!) Click on photo for larger view - yes that really is Paul & Linda! Photo by Jet Kaye.

No comments: