06 February 2010

Wild Horse Mountain




Fri 5.00am 11Km Roo+Lake (topless!)
Sat Midday 12KM Wild Horse Mountain

For years I have driven past the State Forests and Wild Horse Mountain lookout on my way up to the Sunshine Coast. So last night in a bid to provide a change of scenery I researched runs at Wild Horse. (This is Bellthorpe Country :)
I found a course that had been used last year in the WHM Criterion Trail Races. The lap is 10.5KM of rocky, sandy (my favorite), aggregate and mud paths that loosely take you around the mountain. Never having been there before it was wise of me to take along a map and stick closely to it! Of course with the temp at 31 / 32 O C (low 90's O F) I had chosen the toughest time of day to run. The first part of the course runs down the trail alongside the Bruce so no peace or tranquility there! But soon your running in towards the forests and running in complete isolation from humanity. The trail runs back alongside Tibrogargan Creek on beautiful sand paths where there was also some shade. I had thought about doing two laps (21K) but in the end thought I had lost so much fluid that I had too stop and take on some water.
After sucking down 2 liters in 10seconds flat for "fun" I thought I'd run up the "Mountain" !
There is a road to the top which goes straight up i.e. no hairpins and it is really really steep! It was all I could do to run it and not stop!
Only 700m long but 123m of climb!
At the top you are rewarded with spectacular views of the Glass House Mountains and across Pumistone Passage, Bribie and Morten Island.

I think I have found THE HILL for future Hill Sessions!
I didn't take my camera but found these images on Flicker. Cheers




3 comments:

Bellthorpe said...

A lovely run!

Does that mean we might see you there on 4th April?

David said...

Umm! What's the event?

David said...

Ahh I just looked it up! The WHM Criterion is on again this year!!
4th April!
Humm, 10.7K = too short for a trail run!
31K = Madness but maybe!