10 September 2008

Jay Twist

Just got back from day in Bundy with a side trip to Hervey Bay.
On Sunday when I woke up wanting to run B2B I hopped out of bed and felt my right ankle was really sore! No reason why it should be, it's not as if I've been training hard! By Monday the ankle had swollen and I was limping from the left knee and now the right ankle! Felt like a really old man hobbling around at work everyone asking me if I'd run B2B and I couldn't even offer any explanation for the limp!. I mentioned it to a colleague and he said maybe Gout!! By Tuesday the swelling was going down but I went to see the GP and explained that the only thing that appeared to help the knee pain was the initial batch of anti  inflams I had back in July and since then the problem had appeared to come back.
He prescribed some more anti inflams and having taken them on Tues eve and Weds a.m. I immediately feel better. The pain is significantly down in my knee even when I bear weight on it - I can even walk down stairs with no pain now! The ankle has cleared up. I shall be getting an ultrasound as soon as I can fit it in on both the knee and the ankle to see if that shows anything up. 
The Doctor also asked did I have a family history of  Gout!!
Anyone would not be unreasonable to consider me a 'hypochondriac' when I mention that I have for two years suffered a frozen left shoulder now hopefully coming good but am going into the early phases of frozen shoulder on my right!!
My ankle was operated on about twelve  and fifteen years ago.
So today at last I can feel positive that I might get back into training soon - might leave it to the weekend and then try some very easy running (Not faster than 46min Roo+Lake).
Have seen the B2B results and speculated where a truly fit performance might have placed me.The most recent race measure was Vlad Shatrov beat me at the City 2 Surf by a second or two, he finished11th in 33m25.
The times seemed slow by comparison to others. Scott Westcott 30m45 (expected to go under 30) Courtney Atkinson not having swam 1500m or cycled , ran 31m36 and Chris Reeves to run only 32m06. Hintsa 4th in 32m11 must have had a good battle with Chris and Jay Twist 5th 32m13. I cant imagine the course was that hilly but perhaps it was long?
Last Weekend Ron Peters ran the Half Mara in Melbourne in 73m05, to add the M55 Australian Record to his M50 ! Hats off and congratulations Ronnie, Brilliant!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You'd have been well under 33 even on a tough course based on your peak fitness of 2 or 3 months ago. Vlad is pretty inconsistent. I've beaten him all season other than at SMH Half where he smashed me (and the likes of Tucks, Chadi and Robin Whiteley) in running 71:44 on a tough course.

Good luck with the injuries. Better to get them sorted out properly so that you can start enjoying your running again. View it as enjoyable to see week on week improvement again.

Matty said...

Mate,

There was a 80-100m run from water level outside the Breakfast Creek Hotel to the top of the ICB. That incline knocked the times about. Some speculation of a slightly long course.

Cheers
Matt