10 September 2011

Laurie O'Hara

A rest day for me  today as I'm racing tomorrow. Hoping that the howling gale outside dies down!


More results from 1978. I was 16 years old and had some ups and downs. The down was being beaten by Club mate Phil Llewellyn in the Southern Champs even though as he'd opted to represent Wales (Boy O) meant that he competed as a 'guest', nevertheless, I was horrified with my race, got home that night and ran 10miles (for a 16 year old that was some punishment!). Two other races that Summer I ran 8m39.6 and 8m39.0 as well as a 8m41 so you might see my point? Adolescence caused a number of inconsistent performances I seemed to run well some weeks and awful other times.
I've mentioned Laurie O'Hara before but I am going to mention him again. Like Alan Bradford and Ronnie Peters in Australia he ran through out his 30's 40's and 50's (Alan is still going in his 70's!), running phenomenal times. The Belgrave Club 5000m Champs in 1978 when he was 46 winning in 15m36 but that year he had run 15m05 and 31m39 for God's Sake! I invite you to have a look at his Power of 10 profile here  remember the Lauries early results are unlikely to have been recorded in the 1960's and 70's and look at his  Club Records he set as 40, 45, 50, 55, here
Tomorrow I wont be happy with anything other than sub34m and top 20 (and not getting Chicked!).

No comments: