05 November 2010

Cool Night Classic

Thurs 5.30pm Cool Night Classic 5.2km 17m20  3rd
Fri 5.00am 6KM Slow


The logistics of racing straight from work are always awkward, not the usual comfort of getting ready from home however, got this about right. Finished work at 4.30pm got changed, warmed up in the Botanical, slight mishap I ran into a branch and corked my thigh but at least it was a diversion worry away from my knee and hamstring!
Must have been 2349 city runners lined up but I couldn't see any out and out guns so thought I might have a chance of a win. Lined next to the really petite Clare Geraghty . I charged off into the lead (slight downhill section) in the Botanical and must have kept it for all of about 600m when M40 Geoff Berkeley and Hintsa Mebrahtu came past me ; (  the first K was about 3m05, I tried to hang in there but I got gapped by them and another young fellow - Mick O'Shea (they are all young compared to me). Out across the Goodwill Bridge and along the South Bank I was happy enough with the pace. Lots of pedestrian traffic to dodge (we were running on public footpaths in rush hour). Mick , in third, was dropped by Geoff , as Hintsa went off into the distance.
I pretty much caught Mick by Victoria Bridge and followed him running off course as we went up nearside rather than going under and up the far side of the bridge! Only lost a few seconds but still! Up along the bridge I went into third and gapped 4th, running down the other side of Victoria Bridge ramp I had a mind explosion as thought I'd gone off course - turning around and running back from where I'd came, Nick O'Shea however reassured that the ramp did a 'U' turn and led us back in the right direction towards the River Stage! In total I would have lost 10/15 seconds. I took control again and gapped him to run back into the River Stage arena alone in 3rd ($150) about 100m behind Geoff Berkeley (17m00). The tight twisting course was not conducive to fast times - Hintsa ran 16m30. He's about a 14m30 / 30m guy.
Results are here

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

David, you seem as competitive as ever, some of your trng times leave me shaking my head, good to see you you racing again. I've been battling hamstring/knee problems most of the year. If you want a change from track races theres a summer run series up here, see below: http://www.allezsport.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Allez_SUMMERRUN_A41.pdf
Entry details should be up in nxt 1-2 wks.
Dave S

David said...

hi Dave sorry to hear about your knee and ha
mmy I can empathize with you there! hope things come good for you soon, regards