12 December 2007

Johnny Broe


5.00am 46m56 Roo + Lake 11.1KM 4m14 K pace

A very lethargic and stiff performance this morning!
Understandable after a quality speed session less than 12 hours before.

Johnny Broe went to my school he is the same age as my oldest brother about 4 years older than me. When I first started running Johnny (Sean) was the school superstar. He probably ran better performances after leaving school. I looked up some of his performances recently and was astounded at just how good he did end up performing. His 1500m PB is better than mine, which surprised me and he ran me fairly close on the others. I did give running away for long spells during my Senior career but even so!
Johnny was/is a party animal and there was a period when I'd cycle over to his place on a Sunday morning for a lift to Bannister where there would be a large pack long distance run. Johnny did not like people to push the pace and break up the pack, which I frequently did! After the run we'd shower and head up the pub The Severn Bells, The Case Is Altered or the Pub in Hatch End. There we'd proceed to have four or five pints. I'd wobble home on the bike! When I was really quite young (18) I can recall getting home, feeling worse for wear, lying under my mothers bed (!) and puking up!
Another time after Johnny had met Fionna, I was invited over for a meal. We drank beer, red wine, white wine, port, and spirits. I remember waking up on the camp bed in the lounge next morning not quite sure where I was ! I looked around and saw a glass filled to the brim with what looked like red puke! Wow I thought that was lucky I didn't spill any! I looked around a bit more and was disheartened to see that I had not been quite so lucky a nasty red puddle on the carpet!
When I first backpacked to Australia I lived in the Northern Beaches suburb of Manly = actually Fairlight with Stu Moore. Johnny's wife Fionna is originally from Manly (I think Stu must have introduced them? !). The Broe's now reside in nearby Balgowla with their two beautiful daughters. I think Johnny still runs , Fionna told me everyday except when it rains! Fionna herself is very fit and runs regularly. I had an idea that Johnny's place was like a Mecca for Runners on a Sunday morning as the start point for a long run up the Beaches, Dee Why, Curl Curl, to Narabean (my memory is fading).
Johnny has a million stories to tell and knows everybody, a very gregarious chap it has been my pleasure to run some miles with.

No comments: