09 March 2008

Glenda Banaghan


Sunday 8.00am Q.E.11 Stadium Nathan 3000m 1st 9m26



The important thing for me today at the State Masters Championship was getting around and without a reaction in my Achilles/Calf.

I was successful in that and should be glad!!!

However, even though I told myself I wasn't going for any time, the result will leave me wondering if I 've still 'got it' as running around in 9m26 was slower than my season opening disaster 9m22!

Shawn Claydon had asked me before the start if I had any time goals and I answered honestly, none what so ever, as 8m56 had fulfilled me for the season (at least over 3K).

I started off conservatively and went through 1K in 3m03 with Shawn (who had told me he hoped to run 9m30 ) right behind me!

It was pretty windy and humid as ever but temperature was about 25 O C.

I wanted to ease away from Shawn which I managed but noted my lap times were off 9M pace and by 1800 I was some 10secs shy.

Really just cruised around the last K.

In many ways running 9m26 will help to motivate me for the Nationals in two weeks time.I'm sure my fitness is OK. I need to address the mental preparation to be fully in top shape. My main aim over Easter is to win a fast 10K and to enjoy the other events but to Win the 5000m and the 8K CC.
Last Year at the Nationals in Hobart, Queenslander Glenda Banaghan demolished all opposition in the 5, 10, and the 8K CC. The latter was particulary impressive as she smashed local Tassie girl , current Womens International Kylie Risk. Glenda ranked 4th in the World in the W40-44 age group!
Next year she hits 45!! She may well run faster than any other woman in the world her age!!!

No comments: