04 March 2008

Guy McCullum







Tuesday 5.00am 11KM Roo+Lake 44m48

It is our youngest daughter Lily's fifth birthday today.
Surprisingly she managed to stay in bed till gone 6.00am so I didn't miss any of the morning present shower. She loved amongst other things a $40 Barbie Mermaidia with wings that lit up!
It lasted till this arvo when I got home! Back to Myers tomorrow for a replacement.

I have previously extolled the virtues of Pete Magill (M46) in the States.

He has gone and done it again!
8m36 for 3000m! Without a doubt the best in the World in my age group.

I loved his account of the race, its very familiar to me when I race against the youngsters.
By way of explanation his running club is called the Fluffy Bunny Track Club !

SoCal Pete RE: Masters Weekend Races and Runs 3/2/2008 9:15AM - in reply to healthyrunner1960 Reply Return to Index Report Post


Had a good week myself, with the legs feeling whole again, finally recovered from the X-Country race in San Diego.
Ran a 3000 myself yesterday at the USC Trojan Relays. Lined up with a group of 33 - and I think I was the only entrant over the age of 22 or 23. One young runner on the line said, "I don't mean to be rude, but can I ask you a question?" I smiled, because I was sure he was going to ask why I wasn't sitting in the stands since I was obviously someone's dad (or grandfather). But instead he said, "Where is your club Fluffy Bunny located?" Ah, that was an easy one, but I actually felt a little disappointed when I didn't get to say, "Hey, I'm 46! That's right, you've got an old man in your midst!"
Anyway, the gun went off, and as you can imagine the first couple laps were just a mess. With that many youngsters, inexperience ruled the roost. Some runners sprinted to the front, then immediately died. Others didn't know how to cut in or get out of a box, so there was a lot of applying the brakes and throwing-of-the-elbows. One guy passed me at least 5 times in the first 3 laps. I spiked one poor fellow so badly that he cried out in pain; he probably went straight to the ER for stitches after the race. But hey, what are you gonna do? He stepped right in front of me mid-stride - no way I could avoid him. I finally just took up a safe spot in lane 3 and stayed out of the danger zone.
Long story short, the first mile ended up coming through pretty slow, so we all settled in for what promised to be a long kick. And it was. Not quite the 61 second last lap Mike ran, but I hit a 1:35 last 600 to snag second. Honestly, it was a total rush - being out there with the kids dueling it out for the last couple laps! One of the funnest runs I've had as a master!!
Oh, and by the way, it was my first race in Nike's Ventulus 2 track spikes. Man, those are the best track shoes I've ever raced in! Anyone looking to shave a precious few seconds off their track time (or tenths of a second in the shorter races) should consider getting a pair!
Okay, hope everyone has a great week!
You can read the rest of the post on the 'Letsrun' forum
here .

I'm not sure the link works but if your interested go to Letsrun.com and got to forums and this forum was dated March 2nd and labeled Masters Weekend Races and Runs.
Pete marginally improved his existing American record.

No comments: