05 January 2008

David Sweeney

Race Day State Athletic Facility Nathan

QA All Comers Meet Saturday 5th January 4.30pm

Temp. 31 O C light breeze

1500m 4m18.30 A modern day best performance

Wrapped & Stoked as they say in Australia!!!
There were 21 starters - a huge field of youngsters!
(lets face it almost everyone is a youngster compared to me in these meets!
I'm old enough to have fathered most of them!!).

The whole field went tearing off at the gun me included!

I went through the first 400m in 63/64! Worryingly quick! I couldn't settle into any rhythm and annoyingly a lad running the same pace as me kept me off the inside of the track. There were times when I felt I was cruising and could have gone faster but I was boxed in and couldn't. At other times over the last 800/600m guys were going past me at speed and there was nothing I could do about it. Andrew Reeves was one of them and he ran 4m12.

I heard times but cant be sure what they were. I race 1500m sparingly and so am not used to the times. The race was won in around 3m55 and I think I finished about 10th, but will check the results later.
The thing about 1500m is its the only race that I ever feel the lactic acid build up to such an extent that I tie up. I did my best to prevent it through attempting to relax the arms/neck/head. But I've got to be happy with a modern day best performance and I still believe there is more time to come off .
My 8m59.5 3000m equates to a 4m11 1500m in the running calculators, not that I'd actually ever expect to run that fast.
I shall celebrate tonight with a glass of wine and see if the Arsenal Burnley FA Cup game is on the TV
.

Cheers

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Congs on your formidable 1.500 m time! Which wine have you had later?

David said...

Thanks for your comment:-)
Can't believe I said I'd have a wine but then it was 5 years ago!
Today Is just enjoy a cool beer especially on these hot Summer nights.