17 January 2008

Richard Samuel

5.00am Temp 23 O C Lake+Roo 11KM 43m03


Niggles appear to have subsided. Happy with this run. I've noted from other blogs the high mileage that some runners step up to and in particular the propensity for doing the weekly long run. I have to say that I feel it important at my age that I keep the mileage within reason as years and years of mileage are likely to have a detrimental effect on the body joints and I try to keep injuries at bay by keeping the training intense if not long! Another reason why I try where possible to run off the road and on the grass.

Dick Samuels another of the Shaftesbury old guard who was a Welsh International over the barriers. I remember when I first beat him in a track race over 3000m as a precocious 17 year old! He must have been upset when a skinny long haired lad beat him! Again I never really got to know the "old" guard as they were another era. To think I'm now probably 15 years older than they were then!

His Best Times were 8m15.2 for 3000m in1977, 14m08.4 for 5000m, 30m06.0 for 10,000m and 8m50.8 for 3000m Steeple!!!

No comments: