20 January 2008

Gary Taylor

6.00pm Nudgee MEGA SESSION 20 X 400m 120m jog recovery Ave 71/72.0s (finished with a 66s !) 2K WU , 2K WD.








Felt good even though it is a mental battle to run early and middle intervals well ,when there is so far to go! But good conditions (overcast) and heat of the day had dissapated and no bloody wind! In this sort of form I know I can run sub 9mins and probably sub 15m30.


Gary Taylor ran for Windsor Slough & Eaton , he was in my county Middlesex so race county and schools. He was a year younger than me and a lot faster!
He ran 3m 39 for 1500m in 1987 as a Senior and 3m40 in 1981 when still a Junior. I'm pretty sure he took a Scholarship at an Amercican running University.I went to the English equivalent at Loughborough.
We went to the All England Schools CC Championships together and were billeted with two families who had girls our age!
What a weekend - Gary finished 3rd , I finished 5th (my best placing in an All-England CC Championship). Then the girls took me and Gary out to a disco where we had a great time.
For the record , my mate Dave Lewis won the race, and my best ever All England Track performance was a 4th Place in the Senior 5000m at Nottingham.


I was really grateful to Gary's dad a keen photographer who took a number of running photos of me when I was younger. Without them I'd have nothing. Will see if I can scan into a format that I can upload onto this blog. 
I wonder what Gary is doing now?

Gary and me after the Mike Sully Boys Race in 1976 I was 4th

Gary and me following the English Schools Cross Country at Newcastle in 1980 Gary came 3rd (a year young!) I finished a best ever Schools XC 5th

I think this was Middlesex Junior Cross Country Champs but in 3rd is Phillip Llewellyn who normally ran the Hertfordshire Championships





No comments: