22 January 2008

Graham Mathews


Tues 5.00am 11km Roo+ Lake 43m56s (4min00KM's)



Ran in a new Adidas Clima Lite top bought from the Adidas shop ,in a sale, at the Queen St Mall .

Very smart looking and the clima Lite qualities were noticeable as the back of the shirt didn't start sticking to me until after 20mins and front seemed to remain sweat free!! Of course even $27 is way too much money for a shirt (and that is with a 40% discount) by my immediate reaction this arvo on the way home was to pop in to see if they have any more (No!) or some shorts (none my size).

I would have done a second session tonight but initially I thought I had to be home to look after the kids as Nat was going out . But later realised my mistake Nat is out on Wednesday. As I plan to race on Friday , doing too sessions on Wednesday is a bit risky for my aching creaking body so I've got off lightly this week and maybe the taper will pay dividends in performance.

Planning on Racing UQ All Comers Meet at St. Lucia on Fri evening 3000m again!


Graham Mathews was a talented runner I used to race against as a kid (when we were 11- 13 years old), he tragically was killed by a 'hit and run' driver when he was about 14/15. His dad presented a cup in his honour at our Club. It's presented each year to the most promising young athlete.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

David - pretty impressed you knew David Lewis. I was running as a kid around that time. Never ran English CCC but finished 3rd in the Boys Inter-Counties CCC in 1989 and 19th in the English Schools CCC in the same year when a year young. David Lewis and Steve Tunstall were the dominant cross country runners at that time.

Anonymous said...

G'Day Tom,

I was at Loughborough with Dave in 1980 (he only managed a year there) but we became good mates.He was what I'd always suspected! A Northern Mountain Goat - a real aninmal. Fantastic ability. Simply the best runner in the country my age from 11 years old to about 20.
Glad to read your Achilles is feeling better - but take it easy!
I lived in Fairlight for a year in 1988! I used to run up to North Head, Quarantine Station, car park at the end and back! Nice Hill!
Regards David